Cleveland Park
 Neighborhood
Cleveland Park Neighborhood Profile
Cleveland Park DC combines the bustle of Connecticut Ave with the serenity of tree-lined streets and Rock Creek Park. You’ll find history, architecture with charm and character, some serious mansions and a Metro station in this engaging neighborhood.
Getting Around in Cleveland Park.
Cleveland Park is a very walkable neighborhood with a WalkScore of 85. Cleveland Park offers good public transportation with a TransitScore of 65, and is bikeable with a BikeScore of 62.

Metro Station

The Cleveland Park station runs on the Red line.

Buses

About 12 Bus Lines run through Cleveland Park.

Bikeshare

There are 3 Capital Bikeshare stations in Cleveland Park.

ZipCar

ZipCar has 4 locations in Cleveland Park.

Cleveland Park is an urban village with a little retro flair and a lot of picturesque appeal.
Catch the matinee at the Uptown. Free range Fido in Rock Creek Park. Coo over adorable animals at the National Zoo. Take gargoyle selfies at the National Cathedral. Meander along tree lined streets and ponder life’s mysteries. Sip a latte in the garden at Firehook. Pick up your favorite vintage at Weygandt Wines. Open the door to a different era at Hillwood Estate. Brunch on duck & waffles at Ardeo + Bordeo. Summit the jungle gym at Macomb St Playground. Cannonball into the Cleveland Park Club pool. Hold hands and watch the sun set over Ordway Street. Fall in love with your life.
Cleveland Park Schools

Eaton Elementary

Public • Grades PK-5

470 students • 14 student/teacher

Deal Middle School

Public • Grades 6-8

1248 students • 14 student/teacher

Wilson High School

Public • Grades 9-12

1696 students • 14 student/teacher

For a full, updated list of schools, see EBIS. School data from SchoolDigger
Cleveland Park History
Bloomingdale DC began as several large estates and orchards located just outside the original boundary of the City of Washington. Residential development started in the late 1880s, shortly after the County of Washington was absorbed by the City of Washington. Boundary Street (Florida Avenue), was the dividing line between paved, planned streets to the south and rural country to the north, where landowners maintained orchards and large country estates. Later, some of these gave way to commercial properties. George Beale and wife Emily purchased t a 10-acre  parcel of land  along the City boundary in 1823 and named it the “Bloomingdale Estate.” The estate eventually grew to 50 acres and the name stuck. After Emily Beale’s death in 1885, her heirs began to sell large tracts of the estate to developers, who  created residential developments between the already established LeDroit Park and Eckington neighborhoods. By 1887, city planners were talking about extending the city’s paved street grid into Bloomingdale. By 1894.roads were improved, curbed, and paved. Streams and creeks like Tiber Creek were buried or re-directed south of Bloomingdale. One section of the Tiber Creek in Bloomingdale ran along what is now Flagler Place. Some of the earliest Bloomingdale homes were built between 1892 and 1900. One of the first Bloomingdale residences was 2122 1st Street, built in 1900 by Samuel Gompers. In 1903, eleven homes were built along Rhode Island Avenue. Spec homes by developers like Harry Wardman, S. H. Meyers and Francis Blundon followed. Many of Wardman’s early Bloomingdale homes incorporate elements of Richardson Romanesque architecture, while his later designs on Adams and Bryant Streets, were designed in the set-back, brick with covered front porch style for which he is most famous. Blundon built several homes along 1st Street including his own home at 100 W Street. In 1904, Nathaniel Parker Gage School, was built on the 2000 block of 2nd Street. By 1909, the old estates had all been sold and divided, Tiber Creek buried, and the neighborhood street layout had been fully developed into its present configuration. Many homes in the northern section of Bloomingdale retain carriage houses, some of which have been converted to private residences. The Gage School was converted to condominiums in 2007. On May 22, 2010, the city officially dedicated a new alley street, Bloomingdale Court, N.W. between the 100 block of U and V Streets, N.W., and the 2000 block of 1st Street and Flagler Place.
Neighborhood information on this site is believed to be accurate but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.