Georgetown DC
 Neighborhood
Georgetown Neighborhood Profile
The Georgetown neighborhood offers luxury real estate, fine dining, a plethora of shopping venues, swank hotels and one of the nation’s most revered universities. This storied neighborhood was founded 40 years before The District and named for a king. From tobacco port and home to presidents and slaves, to today’s elegant residential address and commercial success.
Getting Around in Georgetown.
Georgetown is the 18th most walkable neighborhood in Washington D.C. Georgetown has good public transportation and is very bikeable.

Metro Station

Georgetown is near Foggy Bottom Metro, on the Orange, Silver and Blue lines.

Buses

About 2 Bus Lines run through Georgetown, also the BRIDJ

Bikeshare

There are 4 Capital Bikeshare stations in Georgetown.

ZipCar

ZipCar has 5 locations in Georgetown.

Georgetown combines a rich history with modern-day guilty pleasures.
Plan your day over a steaming cup of Chaider at Baked & Wired. Devour a scone and support a vet at Dog Tag Bakery. Increase the size of your wardrobe on M Street or Wisconsin Avenue. Explore Cady’s Alley. Adopt a cat at Crumbs & Whiskers. Pick up a bike at Revolution Cycle and tour cobblestone streets and canals. Paddle board at the waterfront just before sunset. Dine at Fiola Mare anytime. Charter a yacht. Kayak up the Potomac. Sip a cocktail in the historic 1789 bar. Spend an entire afternoon gaping at treasures in L’Enfant Gallery. Acquire something special in the East Village. Got a couple of mil left at the end of the day? Snap up a little historic house. Parking’s extra.
Georgetown DC Schools

Hardy Middle School

Public • Grades 6-8

371 students • 12 student/teacher

Hyde-Addison Elementary School

Public • Grades PK-5

334 students • 15 student/teacher

Wilson High School

Public • Grades 9-12

1696 students • 14 student/teacher

For a full, updated list of schools, see EBIS. School data from SchoolDigger
Georgetown History
Before becoming an English port, Georgetown was a fur trading post. English fur trader Henry Fleet documented a Nacotchtank village named “Tohoga” in 1632 and established trade there. A tobacco inspection house was added by George Gordon along the Potomac in the mid-1700’s. The site was already a tobacco trading post by then. Warehouses, wharves, and other buildings followed, and Georgetown rapidly grew into a ambitious community that evolved into a bustling port and town. The port of Georgetown was active 40 years prior to the establishment of the federal district and the City of Washington. Georgetown was built on the fall line and was the last port upstream that oceangoing vessels could travel on the Potomac River.
Georgetown was founded during the reign of George II of Great Britain and it is widely believed that the town was named for him, although its founders were both named George (Beall and Gordon).  Georgetown was officially founded in 1751 and issued a charter by the Maryland Legislature and incorporated in 1789, but never officially made a city.
Georgetown held to its status as a separate municipality until Congress created a new consolidated government for the District of Columbia in 1871. It wasn’t until 1895 that Georgetown’s remaining local ordinances were repealed by a separate Act. The neighborhood’s streets were then renamed to conform with the street plans in the City of Washington.
The Old Stone House was built in 1765 on M Street and is the oldest original structure in the District. The first church in Georgetown was a Lutheran house of worship located on High Street. A Presbyterian church followed in 1784 and the Trinity Catholic Church was built in 1795 including a parish school-house. St. John’s Episcopal was consecrated in 1809. Georgetown’s first newspaper was the Republican Weekly Ledger, first printed in 1790, followed by The Sentinel, published in 1796, and others. Next came the banks. Farmers and Mechanics Bank opened in 1814, followed by the Bank of Washington, Patriotic Bank, Bank of the Metropolis, and the Union and Central Banks of Georgetown.  Postal service began in 1790. The neighborhood’s first tavern, City Tavern, was established in the late 1700’s and is still operating today near Wisconsin Avenue and M Street.
Neighborhood information on this site is believed to be accurate but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.