Glover Park
 Neighborhood
Glover Park Neighborhood Profile
Glover Park neighborhood residents take pride in the peaceful, laid back vibe and unity of their neighborhood. It’s an urban suburb ringed by parkland, filled with single family homes and a bustling little downtown.
Getting Around in Glover Park.
Glover Park is a very walkable neighborhood with a WalkScore of 76. Glover Park offers good public transportation with a TransitScore of 54, and is bikeable with a BikeScore of 62.

Metro Station

There is no Metro station in Glover Park.

Buses

About 11 Bus Lines run through Glover Park.

Bikeshare

There are 3 Capital Bikeshare stations in Glover Park.

ZipCar

ZipCar has 4 locations in Glover Park.

Charming rowhouses + lush greenery create an idyllic background for life in the Glover Park neighborhood.
Take Spot on a relaxing evening exerciser. Sow seeds in the community garden. Savor barbecue at Rocklands. Build a fort in the backyard. Hum with the ‘Sounding of the Colors’ from the Naval Observatory synchronized to the Master Clock. Run errands on Wisconsin Ave. Sip a pint at the Mad Fox Brewing Company. Buy a raffle ticket at the festival on Glover Park Day. Snag that hard-to-find bottle of bourbon at Pearson’s. Select omelet ingredients at the farmer’s market. Hike a trail through Glover Archbold Park. Put on your old jersey and whack fly balls across Stoddert Field. Bring someone special to toss them back, ’cause Glover Park is all about engagement.
Glover Park Schools

Stoddert Elementary

Public • Grades PK-5

381 students • 15 student/teacher

Hardy Middle School

Public • Grades 6-8

371 students • 12 student/teacher

Wilson High School

Public • Grades 9-12

1696 students • 14 student/teacher

For a full, updated list of schools, see EBIS. School data from SchoolDigger
Glover Park History
The eastern part of the Glover Park neighborhood began as a northern extension of Georgetown. It was primarily used for butchering and market gardening. The western portion of the neighborhood originated as an estate owned by butcher Henry Kengla, c. 1911. Charles C Glover purchased the property from Kengla. Glover Park’s residential development began in earnest in the early 1920’s, which is when it was given its name.
The eastern part of Glover Park falls within the northern extension of Georgetown. The earliest record of the settlement of what is now known as Glover Park is folded into Georgetown records. According to Glover Park historian Carlton Fletcher; “Peter Colter, a German immigrant, and Murray Barker, a free black man, appear in Georgetown tax assessments between 1808 and 1810. Colter and Barker raised families along what is now Wisconsin Avenue, in the village of Wilberforce, a long-forgotten subdivision of Georgetown, and both supported themselves, in part, by growing produce for the local market. For a newly arrived immigrant, or a newly freed slave, with only a small amount of land to work with, market gardening made sense. In general, the early population of upper Georgetown consisted of native-born whites (quite often from Pennsylvania), immigrants (from Germany and Ireland), and African Americans (both free and slave).”
Glover Park, west of Huidekoper Place, evolved from Salop, a 17th century land grantThe portion east of Huidekoper Place grew from Salcom, later dubbed “Knave’s Disappointment.”  This parcel was incorporated into the 1769 Beatty and Hawkins’ Addition to Georgetown, expanding Georgetown by 300 lots. Of those, the 50 lots on either side of Wisconsin Avenue, from R Street north to Davis Street, and west to Huidekoper Place, made up the northern extension of the corporation of Georgetown.
The Russian Embassy sits on “Mount Alto” on Wisconsin Avenue in the Glover Park neighborhood, constructed on property leased to the Soviet government for 85 years as part of an agreement between the Soviet Union and USA, concluded in 1969. A 1972 agreement guaranteed equal territory in Moscow to the US for a new embassy with the same terms, and stipulated that occupation would commence simultaneously. Soviet architect Michael Posokhin designed the building. Posokhin also designed the State Kremlin Palace among other notable buildings in Moscow. The residential building, school, kindergarten and sports fields were completed in 1979, administrative and ceremonial buildings in 1985. Most interesting, the late 1980s, the FBI and the NSA built a tunnel under the compound for espionage purposes in the late 1980’s, but it was never successfully utilized due to Robert Hanssen disclosing the information to the KGB. Hanssen is a former FBI agent who spied for Soviet and Russian intelligence services against the United States for 22 years, from 1979 to 2001.
Sources: Glover Park History; Wikipedia
Neighborhood information on this site is believed to be accurate but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.